Sunday, April 12, 2009

Recommended Books

I know I have mentioned the author Dinah Zike before but here are three of my favorite books by her. I use ideas from these books constantly in the classroom. They are well worth the money I spent on them. I currently have my fingers crossed that I get a NEA grant I applied for to attend her "foldables" workshop in Texas this summer (too expensive on my own and remains listed under my dream professional development list).

Currently I am on spring break and I grabbed these three off my school bookshelf to take home and see what will jump out at me as I plan for the end of the year. I have spoken to pre-service teachers at our local university and I always bring them with me and recommend them as "must haves" on any teachers bookshelf (she also has other books but obviously I am focused on science...I know after bringing them to school the fourth grade social studies teachers purchased her social studies book).

2 comments:

Mendy Gannon said...

Is the classroom organization book better for newbies or could everyone benefit? I've seen it online, but can't really get a feel for it. (Wish they would put up a table of contents)

Have you heard about your NEA grant for the foldables workshop?

Eve Heaton said...

I think it could benefit anyone. There are a lot of ideas that use recycled material - which I like - and are pretty inexpensive. I haven't run across ideas like she has in other organization books. She just added a classroom organization class to her academy in Texas. You are more then welcome to borrow mine to see if it was worth getting. I borrowed the one I have from another teacher and put so many flags on it that I wound up buying her a new books so I wouldn't have to remove the tags. It is a bit dated (picture wise) but the material is still relevant.

I heard back last week and it is a big no this go around. I saved my application and plan to submit again...my plan is to just plain wear them out resubmitting (you can submit that one twice a year).