Skip to main content

Take Home Project




This was a project I did with my Girl Scout troop when we worked on our weather badge. I liked the idea and filed it away for possible use in the classroom next year.
Basically we took card stock and cut it into a perfect square. We folded all the corners into the middle and wrote the most common severe weather we have in this area on three of the tabs and "emergency numbers" on the first tab.
The girl scouts wrote down safety tips, associated with the various severe weather, under the tabs and listed their families emergency phone numbers. We used velcro dots to hold the tabs shut and put magnet strips on the back so it could be placed on the fridge.
The Girl Scouts enjoyed doing this project.
The only draw back is if you teach A LOT of students this might get expensive with the supplies but if you have one or two classes this would be a doable project.
Another thing I did along the same lines is have children sketch out the interior of their home and put a giant X on the safest places to go in a Tornado (I made this a homework assignment). We backed it in colored paper and laminated it so they could put it someplace the family would see it at home (or at the very least put it in their bedroom). You could easily (without the laminating) make it a fold out map in the notebook.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A cheaper choice for magnets is to use any type of "pizza place" or advertising magnets you receive instead of magnet strips. I just put the glue on the advertisement and stick it on. I try to pick up a stack whenever I see them on the counters. They are thin enough you can cut into smaller pieces, making one magnet go a long way.
Eve Heaton said…
I love the idea of using advertising magnets! Thank you for sharing.

Eve
BellaMouse said…
I could not find the accordion fold weather tool booklet instructions, can you help me find it Thanks, love your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Moon Phase Box

I happened to walk into a fourth grade class the other day and they were hard at work making moon phase boxes. They were totally adorable and the kids were completely into it. The teacher very kindly let me take some pictures (thank you Mrs. Parker!) and add to my blog.


Students would need a shoe box and they need to cover the inside and inside lid with black construction paper. Using fishing wire they would hang a ping pong ball in the center of the lid so it is suspended in the center of the box. They then take a flashlight and trace the light end on one of the short ends of the box and then create viewing flaps in the middle of every side (including the one with the light bulb (but that might be slightly off center). It is important that the viewing areas are flaps and not cut directly out (you need to keep the light coming into the box blocked as much as possible).


The teacher used a box cutter to cut the flaps and flashlight hole for the children. I probably would have had studen…

Google Classroom Headers (and Bitmojis)

I recently taught a class on how to use Bitmojis in the classroom to increase student engagement and help with classroom organization and management.

One fun idea was to use them to make custom Google Classroom headers. The idea came from Alice Keeler's blog and she even provided a template for her header.


My computer settings weren't the same as hers so I had to tweak my version.

This got me thinking about how the headers could be changed out frequently, as something new for students to look forward to, when they opened up Google Classroom. In my head I was thinking they could be changed out weekly (38 total headers needed) if time permitted. 



I have several other ideas, templates, and instructions linked in this presentation.



I would love to see other custom Google Classroom Header ideas! Please feel free to post a comment or tag me on Twitter at @techcoachlife.




Cookie Moon Phases

I've seen these cookie moon phases before (click here for a description of the activity on Science Bob's Blog) and wanted to share my "Moon Phase" cookie story.


After seeing these online I thought it would be fun to do it in class as part of our Astronomy unit. I decided to make these at home. They turned out adorable. Then I decided to eat them (justifying that I would let my kids eat them in class :) It quickly became apparent that 8 Oreo cookies was way too many to eat (I definitely felt queasy). I went back to the online directions and found out that I was suppose to use "mini Oreo cookies" (which made much more sense).


A note of caution, the mini Oreo cookies may not be as cost effective with large groups of children (when I taught middle school I had 80+ children). It is definitely cheaper to buy the generic chocolate sandwich cookies. I would just provide a snack or sandwich baggie so the kids could take the leftovers home.