Skip to main content

Persuasive Poster Activity



Last year I co-taught with a media specialist working to integrate technology into her related arts rotation.

We choose a different tool for each of the upper grade levels (3-5). For third we decided to use Google Drawings.

The inspiration for this project came from a picture in a tweet, It made me immediate think of a persuasive writing project that one of the teacher's was doing with her class that we could easily piggy back on.


I really liked the comic book style picture and reached out, via Twitter, to Todd Nesloney and Tony Vincent (who made the original tweet) and found that Tony used an expensive app called Prisma to get the effect. 

We decided to use the free app PicsArt and one of their filters. It wasn't as clean as the picture we used as inspiration but the kids liked the graphic style of  them. If you use the app you can find the filter under "effects" and then "artistic" and then "comic" (or you could try "cartoonizer").

Honestly we didn't really need to use the filter, it created some extra steps for us, but we became committed at some point. We had to pre-take all the pictures of the students in the correct pose (on our iPads) run them through the PicsArt app and then upload the finished pictures to a folder in Google Drive (which we shared with students...so they could get them). 


Students were doing longer writing and research persuasive pieces in the classroom so we had them take their top three points and make a "persuasive poster". We worked with the classroom teacher so that the day we did the project they had their three main points on a sticky note. I roped in another tech coach to help so we had three adults "working the floor" helping (the Media Specialist, her assistant, and an extra tech coach). I modeled up front and helped as students worked independently. 

We gave students a Google Drawing template in Google Classroom that was sized correctly. They then had to find their picture and stretch it to the canvas. They made a semi transparent shape at the bottom where they changed the font (I made them all use Happy Monkey...it gave them experience going to find "more" Google fonts) and type their topic in. I then had them make one speech bubble and had them change the default size, position (center) and font (still Happy Monkey) and had them duplicate the first speech bubble two times. They then fit the speech bubbles around them and typed in their three persuasive points. This took the entire 55 minute Related Arts block. The goal was to have it done in one class setting so we were feeling pretty successful (but we had done a lot of pre-work to set up the activity to run smoothly). 

The students did an outstanding job and learned a lot of tech skills. I loved their persuasive points. This is one of those projects I would definitely do again!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moon Phase Box

I happened to walk into a fourth grade class the other day and they were hard at work making moon phase boxes. They were totally adorable and the kids were completely into it. The teacher very kindly let me take some pictures (thank you Mrs. Parker!) and add to my blog.


Students would need a shoe box and they need to cover the inside and inside lid with black construction paper. Using fishing wire they would hang a ping pong ball in the center of the lid so it is suspended in the center of the box. They then take a flashlight and trace the light end on one of the short ends of the box and then create viewing flaps in the middle of every side (including the one with the light bulb (but that might be slightly off center). It is important that the viewing areas are flaps and not cut directly out (you need to keep the light coming into the box blocked as much as possible).


The teacher used a box cutter to cut the flaps and flashlight hole for the children. I probably would have had studen…

Google Classroom Headers (and Bitmojis)

I recently taught a class on how to use Bitmojis in the classroom to increase student engagement and help with classroom organization and management.

One fun idea was to use them to make custom Google Classroom headers. The idea came from Alice Keeler's blog and she even provided a template for her header.


My computer settings weren't the same as hers so I had to tweak my version.

This got me thinking about how the headers could be changed out frequently, as something new for students to look forward to, when they opened up Google Classroom. In my head I was thinking they could be changed out weekly (38 total headers needed) if time permitted. 



I have several other ideas, templates, and instructions linked in this presentation.



I would love to see other custom Google Classroom Header ideas! Please feel free to post a comment or tag me on Twitter at @techcoachlife.




Cookie Moon Phases

I've seen these cookie moon phases before (click here for a description of the activity on Science Bob's Blog) and wanted to share my "Moon Phase" cookie story.


After seeing these online I thought it would be fun to do it in class as part of our Astronomy unit. I decided to make these at home. They turned out adorable. Then I decided to eat them (justifying that I would let my kids eat them in class :) It quickly became apparent that 8 Oreo cookies was way too many to eat (I definitely felt queasy). I went back to the online directions and found out that I was suppose to use "mini Oreo cookies" (which made much more sense).


A note of caution, the mini Oreo cookies may not be as cost effective with large groups of children (when I taught middle school I had 80+ children). It is definitely cheaper to buy the generic chocolate sandwich cookies. I would just provide a snack or sandwich baggie so the kids could take the leftovers home.