Skip to main content

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link - https://bit.ly/3Umic7r

I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea!

I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code.

We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background was going to be removed and the program I use (remove.bg) works best if the background is fairly neutral. This part went fairly fast.

The teacher gave me her ELA block (90 minutes) to teach students how to use Flip to record, delete, use their graphics, find my instructions, etc. They joined my Flip easily with a code that is generated once I made a topic for them to post to. Their independent project was a simple "About Me" video they had to create and submit.

The directions can be pulled up while they are recording so they could track what they were required to do without having to leave the program.

The students did a great job and we talked about being expressive with your hands and voice while recording and the kids did a great job of hamming it up. 

I came back the next day (Friday) and used her math block to have students record the actual project which was of their mission statement for the year. I broke up their recording into seven clips so they could stay a bit focused. Here were their instructions:

Students were finished at all different times so she had a some math work ready for those who were done. They weren't allowed to publish their video until it been checked by one of us.

Check out one of the recordings HERE (it is pretty darn cute!). 

I came back Monday and caught some stragglers who weren't there Friday and started working on the cutouts.

I took the hallway images and ran them through remove.bg. The site is free to use and I removed the background of approximately 50 images (two classes of students).


I used Google Slides to stage all the student pictures. I changed the dimensions of the slides to 8.5 x 11 for printing purposes (under "file" and "page setup"). I inserted a 2x2 table on each page to help monitor the spacing of student pictures (deleting the table as soon as I was done each page). 


I went into Flip and went down the list of student videos. I clicked on the share icon next to each student (1) and opened the QR code (2) and used my computer's snipping tool (3) to copy and paste the QR code onto the paper in the students hands (adjusting as needed). It worked best to get the student picture on the slide and then add their QR code before moving onto the next student.

I then printed all the pages on card stock and cut around the students (a bit like paper dolls) and added the MEDIUM sized binder clips at the feet to hold them up. They were $4.79 for 15 at Staples (Walmart sold a mixed bag of sizes and I wanted the mediums so I had to go to Staples). 


I made some signs to go with them and printed them on some colored paper (not card stock). I used a 3x3 table in Google Slides and inserted a rectangular shape with no fill and a black line boarder width of 4 points. 


This pretty much took up all of my day getting the two classes done. I have a couple of stragglers I am going to try and catch tomorrow but the open house is Tuesday night so the project ends there. 

It was a great way to introduce Flip to students and showcase some technology use at an open house. I definitely will be doing it again!

If you try this out, please let me know in the comments, or by tagging me on Twitter @atechcoachlife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high