Skip to main content

End of Year Activities II

I saw a variation of this at another school and wanted to try it this year. It is a decoupaged cover for student notebooks.
Pictured above is my prototype (which I am glad I did because now I know where the problems are going to come up).
I cut a black sheet of construction paper about the size of the front cover (you could also do this in white...or any other color.). Each student would get one.
Over the school year I have had a lot of National Geographics and science magazines donated to the classroom, which I have been collecting. I went through the National Geographics and cut out any questionable photos - which ranged from naked tribesmen to graphic scenes of war violence. I had a parent volunteer help me. Each table will get a stack of magazines, enough for one per person, as well as a brown lunch bag (which they will put their name on).
They will cut out pictures that interest them and can be tied to science. They will also cut out large letters for their names. They are not trimming them at this point just cutting them out. I am going to ask students to have at least 10-15 pictures (with a variety of sizes). They will store them in their lunch bag (which serves as a means of collecting and storage only). They can swap magazines with each other.
Once they have their 10-15 pictures they can start trimming and laying out on their black construction paper. I would recommend that they do not start gluing until they have figured out where everything is going to go. I also recommend the use of glue sticks verse white glue for this project because the white glue really caused a lot of bubbling. I used white glue in the prototype above and when I got to the decoupage stage the bubbling became problematic (see first picture above).
After they have glued everything down they use a foam brush (cheap at Walmart - craft section) to put down a THIN layer of the Modge Podge on the cardboard notebook cover. They then lay their collage on top of it, working the bubbles out. It should take about 7-10 minutes to dry. I am going to try putting a heavy textbook on top of the collage during the initial drying process to see if that will help get rid of any bubbling (but I am not going to loose sleep over minor bubbling).
Once that is done students will put another thin layer of Modge Podge on top of the collage (students should keep the strokes going in one direction only) and wait for it to dry. My sample above has two layers of the Modge Podge on it and it is fine.
A friend suggested this might be good for the beginning of the year but since the notebooks are treated fairly roughly though out the school year (shoved in and out of storage bins, getting tossed on tables as they are being passed out, etc.) I purposely left it for the end of the year.
I estimate that this project will take 2 class periods. I am going to have some worksheets and activities on hand for early finishers. Once I get some students covers finished I will post their work.


Popular posts from this blog

Moon Phase Box

I happened to walk into a fourth grade class the other day and they were hard at work making moon phase boxes. They were totally adorable and the kids were completely into it. The teacher very kindly let me take some pictures (thank you Mrs. Parker!) and add to my blog.

Students would need a shoe box and they need to cover the inside and inside lid with black construction paper. Using fishing wire they would hang a ping pong ball in the center of the lid so it is suspended in the center of the box. They then take a flashlight and trace the light end on one of the short ends of the box and then create viewing flaps in the middle of every side (including the one with the light bulb (but that might be slightly off center). It is important that the viewing areas are flaps and not cut directly out (you need to keep the light coming into the box blocked as much as possible).

The teacher used a box cutter to cut the flaps and flashlight hole for the children. I probably would have had studen…

Google Classroom Headers (and Bitmojis)

I recently taught a class on how to use Bitmojis in the classroom to increase student engagement and help with classroom organization and management.

One fun idea was to use them to make custom Google Classroom headers. The idea came from Alice Keeler's blog and she even provided a template for her header.

My computer settings weren't the same as hers so I had to tweak my version.

This got me thinking about how the headers could be changed out frequently, as something new for students to look forward to, when they opened up Google Classroom. In my head I was thinking they could be changed out weekly (38 total headers needed) if time permitted. 

I have several other ideas, templates, and instructions linked in this presentation.

I would love to see other custom Google Classroom Header ideas! Please feel free to post a comment or tag me on Twitter at @techcoachlife.

Cookie Moon Phases

I've seen these cookie moon phases before (click here for a description of the activity on Science Bob's Blog) and wanted to share my "Moon Phase" cookie story.

After seeing these online I thought it would be fun to do it in class as part of our Astronomy unit. I decided to make these at home. They turned out adorable. Then I decided to eat them (justifying that I would let my kids eat them in class :) It quickly became apparent that 8 Oreo cookies was way too many to eat (I definitely felt queasy). I went back to the online directions and found out that I was suppose to use "mini Oreo cookies" (which made much more sense).

A note of caution, the mini Oreo cookies may not be as cost effective with large groups of children (when I taught middle school I had 80+ children). It is definitely cheaper to buy the generic chocolate sandwich cookies. I would just provide a snack or sandwich baggie so the kids could take the leftovers home.