Skip to main content

Inexpensive Glue


I apologize for not writing more. Unfortunately we suspended science for a couple of weeks in our classroom, at the end of a unit, in order to practice for our state writing exam, which students took yesterday. I am happy to write that we are back to science and started our unit on light, electricity and magnets. Students worked on their title page yesterday and will finish up today on our modified schedule after the second part of the state test is given.


Today's post is about inexpensive glue. As a notebooker I have gone through TONS of glue, so much in fact that I joined Elmer's Glue Crew for recycling glue bottles - and extended it school wide.


I tend to buy glue when it goes on sale at the beginning of the year and generally have 4 bottles in my supply bins for each table grouping (I have five table groupings). I was hoping that would last the entire year but sadly it has not. I ran out of school money in our classroom budget and was faced with buying glue refill at Staples for $20. Luckily I ran into another science notebooker in our district, Donna Moore - 7th Grade Science, and she discovered that Lowes sells Elmers Glue All in their paint department for approximately $10. I ran out immediately and purchased two jugs of it. Next year I will put glue bottles on my school supply list for students (I didn't have any input this year so glue sticks reign supreme in our environment, which don't work as well in notebooks because of the drying out factor).
I cut the top off of a plastic water bottle and had my classroom volunteers use it as a funnel to fill my empty bottles.

Comments

Marla Teal said…
Why do you have glue at each table? I thought you glued the sheets in for them? I am just trying to figure out my own management of this which is why I am asking.
Eve Heaton said…
For the most part I glue in pages but I keep glue in supply boxes in case I don't have time or we are doing another project that requires it. I have some of my students glue in during homeroom in the morning and they get the glue from those boxes. Good luck! Alot of the management is through trial and error. I am doing away with table supplies this year - the students were too distructive. I put together boxes (plastic shoe box type) with glue in one, sissors in another, etc. I think it will be easier.

Eve

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...