Skip to main content

School Supplies and Sales


Today is July 21st and Walmart currently has composition books on sale for .45 (a great deal considering the cheapest I have ever been able to find them is .50).

I tend to buy what I need ahead of time - which helps if you want to pre-glue pages or reinforce the binding and edges with clear packaging tape. Once students come in with their supplies I collect a composition book to replace the stock I just purchased. Those get stored so I am ready for the next year. It is nice having the notebooks ready to go the first day of school.

If you don't want to put out that much money ahead of time I would recommend getting a few so that those students who are slow to get their supplies will have them when you get started notebooking (that is generally about 3-5 students per class in my experience).

If a child has purchased a Hannah Montana composition book or something they are really attached to I don't make it a big deal. I've only run into that problem a couple of times and they keep it and I quickly get their book up to speed.

In other sale news....KMART has Roseart brand colored pencils currently on sale THIS WEEK for .25 each (12 count). That is also a good deal. I stocked up on several packs for the classroom. Most students bring in colored pencils, per their supply list, but toward Christmas they tend to start disappearing and it is nice to have extras on hand. At our KMART the bin was not marked but it was listed in their Sunday ad. I was all prepared to point it out at checkout but they rang up correctly (they are actually listed as 4 for $1).

Business Cards - Our school does not provide business cards but they can be ordered for FREE at www.vistaprint.com. You pay shipping and handling (about $5.50 and you get 250 cards). I mention it primarily because shipping can take up to 20 days, per their website, so now would be the time to order them. I normally give my parents two cards during open house (one for them and one for anybody else who may be responsible for their child). There are a lot of cool things you can do with vista's free products. A colleague of mine put together a short slide show on her website of all the ways you can utilize Vista for the classroom (just scroll to the bottom of her page to view).

Happy school shopping!

Comments

Elaina Weaver said…
Thanks for the good deals. I have become addicted to vistaprint this summer. I have placed more orders than I can count. It have never taken the 20 days it says it will take. I've gotten all my orders in 14 days or less.

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high