Skip to main content

Starter Pages


In my first year of teaching I was given these starter pages from my team teacher, Mrs. Gannon, who maintains a social studies blog for the Interactive Notebooks (IAN). There are about 16 pages of "instructions" on various notebooking activities from how to write an appropriate acrostic poem to how to put together a storyboard in the notebook. Students can use these instructional pages to refer back to how an assignment should be done. Over the years I have modified these instructional pages, deleting what I don't use, clarifying something I might use a lot, or simply revising it all together. I've seen some other revised starter pages that also include Cornell notetaking strategies.

I have always pre-glued these pages into the notebook, skipping the first page (which is the notebook title page). As stated above this takes up 16 pages of the notebook. It hasn't been a problem for me, as I have always had enough space.

Last year both Mrs. Gannon, and another notebooker in the district Mrs. Moore, moved their instructional pages into a booklet form, which I thought was very clever. Not only does it reduce the amount of space being taken up in the notebook, waste less paper, but it would be much more efficient to manage (just fold and staple). One could glue the booklet right into the notebook but I think the two teachers mentioned above used a small catalog envelope glued to the back cover of the composition book to store it in (students could take out as needed).

As it stands, I have copied all 16 pages (using the good side of a bad copy run the office made), cut them in half, and have started to glue them into approximately 70 books. In hindsight I should have modified the starter pages into a booklet but I'll just chalk that up to a "lesson learned" this year and make plans to do it next year :)

Comments

Pollyanna1970 said…
Eve,

Thank you for sharing the booklet in the envelope idea! I haven't started my notebooks yet and was REALLY concerned about space with only a 100 page notebook. This will make a BIG difference! I love that the instruction pages set the expectation, take away excuses, and set students up for success. I'm SO thankful to have your experience and blogging to guide me as I try this for the first time!
Eve Heaton said…
Hayley - Thank you for the nice comment. I spent the weekend gluing my starter pages in and wished I had made the booklet. On the plus side I did watch many hours of backlogged TiVo :)

Eve
Eve - if you send me the pdf, I can post it for you on my site for storage. I have unlimited disk space. You can place a link from your blog to it directly. Let me know if you are interested. Liz
mary chambers said…
I was wondering if you could send me your starter pages? I was not able to find them on the site. I am so excited to get started/developing my "Plan." I am grateful to you for all the background info I am finding on your blog.
Eve Heaton said…
Mary - Sure. Send me a message and I'll get you the pages.

Eve
Gwyn said…
In the fall, I will be starting my second year of teaching, and first year of teaching science. I am so grateful for seasoned teachers like yourself that are willing to share their ideas! Can you please send me your starter pages for the science notebooks, along with any other attachments that you feel my students and I may benefit from. Thanks SOOO much!
Darlene said…
I found your site via a link from Pinterest. I would love to have pdf copies of your starter pages. I can't get them to download from your post.
Thanks for sharing!
Darlene
jdsargo@sbcglobal.net

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...