Skip to main content

Tool Box Idea


Earlier in the year I posted about an activity that was done with a third grade class regarding science tools (see second picture). Later in the year I ran across the top picture of a "Readers Tool Box" and it got me thinking about combining the two.
I could easily see larger versions of the tools that the kids would have to cut out label and identify their use (on the back) and put in the "Tool Box". The box would then open and close with velcro (which I love to incorporate in notebooks!).
It is a bit late in the year for the idea but I can see trying it out next year. If you want to try it this year it would be a good end of year "tool" review activity in preparation for any end of year state test.

Comments

scrappinbearcub said…
Hello, I love the science tool box you have. I am a learning coach and a parent of a 7th grader of a K12 virtual student, he dos school at home but is not considered a home schooler. We live in Florida. I was wondering if possibly you could please email me a copy of the tols or if it is available to download a copy. My son is making a interactive journal for notes and I thought this is a great idea and if you could help, thanks. My blog is http://takemebacktowhentheywereinelemenatary.blogspot.com Ginny
Melissa Mayoral said…
Hi are the tools page available on teachers pay teachers. IF not where can I get the page. Thanks,Melissa
Melissa Mayoral said…
Hi I LOVE the tools page. Is this available on teachers pay teachers or is this something that you may be able to share? THank you!
mayoralm@flaglerschools.com
lisiball said…
I would love a copy of your science tools interactive notebook activity. I teach 5th grade Bilingual science and it would benefit my students greatly!
lisiball said…
Please email me a copy of your notebook activity. I teach 5th grade bilingual science in Texas.
kre's villa said…
Hi Eve,
I was looking for activities to use in my 2nd Grade Class. I love your ideas about the Science Tool Box.
Would it be possible to get a copy of this activity?

THANKS
Di

drevillalL@swisd.net
Eve Heaton said…
I have a similar tool box on Teachers Pay Teachers.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Notebooking-Scientific-Tools-and-Uses-270532

Eve

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...