Skip to main content

Classroom Management - New YouTube Favorite


Classroom management is the hardest lesson that teachers learn...and sadly it can't be learned in college...it is certainly "talked about" but the only way to learn this one is on the job (sorry new teachers...on the plus side it gets better :).

It has been my experience that new teachers can learn any content with some degree of confidence...find a lesson and support material without too much difficult...and deliver it with authority. It is when you throw in the kids where everything gets tripped up :)

My first year as a science teacher with no science background I felt pretty good about if I could stay one day ahead of my pacing guide... for example, I had no idea what a dichotomous key was until the week before I had to teach it...um...let alone pronounce it :) but I powered through the content like a champ however, I struggled with the students. I invited seasoned teachers (that I like and respected) to come in and give advice and I went and observed them during my planning periods. It was a rough first year. FYI - sometimes you have other teachers offering up help that do not match your teaching style so its important to find those "like and respect" teachers quickly and know how to get rid of the others.

With several years under my belt and lots of classroom experience I can pretty much walk into a classroom and be fine...for the most part...sometimes the universe likes to remind me not to become too complacent :).

I recently ran across this classroom management video through a blog I follow and I loved it!!!!! The teacher is funny, engaging, and best of all...realistic. I would make this mandatory viewing for all teachers.

The points from the video that resonated with me were:

1. Model the "craycray" - I do that in the classroom during my first days of schools and the kids LOVE it (The teacher acting crazy?!?! What?!?!). My favorite craycray skit is simply titled "the bathroom". I model what I don't every want to hear/see when someone exits the bathroom...I was lucky to have one in the room and you can imagine what came out of fourth grad mouths.
2. Be careful of the "spill over" - I was a departmentalized teacher and often my troubles were "spill overs" from other classes. I learned quickly to engage students THE MOMENT they walked in the classroom.
3. "Snitches Get Stiches" - If I had to call a parent or write up a child you can pretty much guarantee that I exhausted every possible means in my power. Not because I was afraid of the parent but because most things can be handled "in house." Teachers who are ALWAYS calling a parent or writing up a child pretty much scream "I can't handle them" to everyone else.
4. "Hall-acostations" - This was just a cool term for quizzing kids in the halls between classes to keep them on their toes.
5. Don't take it personally and don't engage in a power struggle - I've seen grown teachers argue with 10 year olds (it happens to the best of us and I'm not going to lie... it is super easy to let your inner 10 year old come out). If you find yourself arguing with a child...stop...stop immediately. You.will.never.win. The moment you engage you have lost. I know several teacher who are unable to recognize they are even doing it...and it is painful to watch...for them and for the student.

There were lots of other good things in the 11 minute video...so pull up a chair and prepare to be entertained!

Direct link to the video can be found by clicking HERE.

Comments

Mrs. Jackson said…
Eve,
I LOVE Hip Hughes!!! I think it's awesome that you look for ideas outside your content area. That's exactly what I do. HipHughes is also a great person to follow on twitter.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Michele
Jackson In The Middle
Anonymous said…
Excellent video -- thanks for sharing. I think I've spent the last hour browsing his work :)
I really liked his idea of "empower the child" -- good stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high