Skip to main content

ISTE Idea #2 - Random Poster Session Ideas


Before I get to the #1 ISTE Idea I was looking at my notes and ran across a few random ideas I got from the Poster Sessions (which is basically a walk around showcase environment where you can see a lot of projects in a short amount of time). None of them were giant IDEAS more like small ideas and thoughts about other people's projects that I wanted to look into and see how it could work in our schools (modifying as necessary).


OUT MY WINDOW PROJECT



One poster session hosted by Connecting Creativity had an "Out My Window" project that I really liked. Essentially students took a picture out their window...put it in some design app...they used PicMonkey...and wrote a poem based on the five themes of geography (they had to explain what those were to me...having never taught geography). I'm not sure I could sell that exact project to the teachers I work with but I definitely felt like it had modification potential. Several of our schools are allowing students to take home their iPads at the end of the day and teachers are going to need homework ideas. I thought I could modify the "Out My Window" project as a potential monthly homework assignment.


STUDENT BOOK REVIEW BLOG PROJECT




In another poster session I saw a student book review blog being showcased.  The middle school students wrote book reviews using a google form that got sent and published on a WordPress blog. I liked that they had the process thoroughly explained on their blog so a teacher could walk through the steps. Here were my thoughts that I wrote down...there is no way to publish a picture of the book (I would need to look into that because I think pictures are powerful and a book cover is more likely to generate interest in the review then just the text itself). If a teacher didn't want to blog her students reviews they could set the form to go straight to them (the teacher) - which is basically taking a book report and digitizing it (but I liked that it used less paper then a traditional book report and you can customize the questions in the book report form to get some high order answers). I asked about plagiarizing. Honestly we have a ton of students who would go to Good Reads or Amazon and copy and paste reviews. One of the presenters said...and I hadn't thought of this...if you suspect plagiarism you can copy and paste the review in a google search and see what comes up - once students know that can happen they might be less likely to copy and paste. Then I asked about quality...you certainly don't want a cruddy book review posted! The presenter suggested that all submissions go to the blog moderator before allowing for publication as a means of controlling quality and he also suggested...which I liked...that students have to "earn a blogging badge" before they are allowed to post to the blog. They would earn their badge but submitting samples of quality work.


LEGO MOVIE PROJECT




Legos...I'm not a huge fan of them but they are quite popular in our schools from Lego Labs to Lego Robotics. So when I ran across this poster session I had to stop. These two presenters were from Australia and Mr. Gallagher was showcasing an extensive 16 week stop motion lego movie with his students (get this...ages 6 and 7!). He had picture books documenting the process on the table and he put together an iBook Case Study of the project that can be download for free. This was what impressed me (other then working with legos, stop motion animation, with students in K/1 grades ;)...at the end of the project the 25 minute movie was screened at a local theater that was booked out for the event (what a cool idea!). He put out a challenge school wide for classes to do a short lego stop motion movie and his kids voted on which one was the best and that became a "short" which was screened before their big movie. I downloaded the book...and forwarded the link to our Lego lovers and am thinking of ways to rent out a theater to showcase a massive student project.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...