Skip to main content

Digital Paint Chip Poetry


We are in our last week of April and I am wrapping up a four part series of online poetry activities for National Poetry Month.

This last idea, paint trip poetry, came from Mrs. Hall's Fabulous in Fourth blog.

From Mrs. Hall's Blog

I really liked the idea and made it digital using Google Slides.

I created a template that teachers could use and modify if they wish. Once you click on the link you will be asked to make a copy. Once you have copy in your drive you can adjust as needed for your students. This activity is appropriate for grades 3 through 5.

We use Google Classroom in our district so it would be easy to assign it. Below is how the assignment might look in Google Classroom:



The finished poem "Grey Is" (above) was one I created and used as a sample for students in the template.

Definitely check out Mrs. Hall's blog to see other samples of student work. She had a linked worksheet for student brainstorming and I copied those instructions to the left hand side of each slide in the template. I see where the worksheet was focused on metaphors but the student samples she posted had predominately similes so that might be something you may or may not want to change.

If I were doing this with a class I would copy and paste the finished poems into one master slide show and share with students and allow them to comment on the side. The master slideshow could also be shared with parents and on classroom/school Facebook pages as well.

If  you do this activity I would love to hear/see how it went. Feel free to post in the comments or tag me on Twitter @atechcoachlife.

UPDATE: One of our third grade teachers tried it with her class and they did such a good job. You check out all of their poems HERE. Below are two of my favorites:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...