Skip to main content

Random Idea - Class Sweatshirts

A few years ago I purchased some (6 total) inexpensive sweatshirts from the Goodwill and used a fabric pen (WalMart craft area) and wrote "Mrs. Heaton's Room" on both the front and back to keep in the classroom.

These are very popular with my students (from 6th grade down). Our classrooms tend to be cold and at the beginning of the year kids are freezing. These are loaner sweatshirts that are available on a "first asked, first come" basis. I bought them in adult large and have no problem if the kids stretch them out over their knees. I've never had any "fighting" over them and with my name so prominently displayed both front and back they never move to a different classroom (if the child wearing it forgets usually another child reminds them). I take them home every two weeks to wash and...KNOCK ON WOOD....I've never had a problem with lice :)

I'd like to take credit for this idea but it was something I had read in a magazine years ago that stuck with me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love that idea! I am going to "steal" it. Our rooms get cold too, and even when it is hot and the AC is one, there are those girls who wear really thin t-shirts and are always cold.
Eve Heaton said…
I lucked out at the Goodwill when I went and they had 6 plain grey sweatshirts but any color/style will work too.

Eve
Anonymous said…
When I did my student teaching years ago, the SpEd room was cold enough to hang meat in. The teacher went to Goodwill and bought the very ugliest sweaters she could find, and kept them hanging on the cubby hooks. The kids didn't dare take them out of the room for fear of being teased about the ugly old lady sweaters.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...