Skip to main content

Classroom Management - Bathroom Breaks



I was in a fifth grade classroom just before the holidays and saw a boy put a hand sanitize bottle on his desk with a timer taped to it. I asked him to explain and he said that if they want to go to the bathroom they pick one of the two bottles on the shelf (see second picture), set the timer for three minutes, and go to the bathroom. They have to make it back before the three minutes is up, use the hand sanitizer, turn off the alarm and put it back on the shelf.  

The teacher said that the three minute alarm is her indication that someone might be playing or taking too long in the bathroom. 

Clearly all the kids knew the bathroom procedure. There are two bottles for the boys and two for the girls. Apparently the boys lost one of the bottles before the break and they can only go out one at a time.

I thought this was a clever way to manage bathroom procedures so I thought I would share. 

Comments

What a great idea! I have students put a stuffed animal on their desk so that I know they are out. I have a blue one for boys and a purple one for the girls since I only let of each go out at a time. I love the idea of using hand sanitizer and a timer. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
Elementary School Garden
Tori said…
That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I just started following you!
BeachTeach5 said…
I LOVE this idea! Usually if my students take too long in the restroom, it's because something is wrong. The timer is a great reminder to go check on them. Thank you for sharing!

Liz
BeachTeach


Elaina Weaver said…
What an interesting idea. I wonder how much time is wasted setting the timer.
Brian said…
I really like the idea. I was just wondering, if the exchange between bottle and then setting the timer is distracting to other students in the class? Do they watch to see if the other student will make it on time?
Bob said…
Love the idea! I teach urban 6th graders, and need to start this (or something similar). I would imagine, the teacher has taught them and given them practice using the timer. Maybe in groups with a project, or science lab. It is a good point, but teaching procedures will save a lot of time. I wonder what happens when they are late? Is there a consequence or just embarrassment? I definitely need to rework my procedures for next year. This will help.
Carissa Peck said…
Interesting. I have a whole blog post about different bathroom procedures ( http://www.eslcarissa.blogspot.mx/2014/01/i-have-to-go-to-bathroom.html ), but I have never seen teachers use a timer before! What a great idea!

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...