Skip to main content

Digital Conversation Heart Writing Activity



Every Valentine's Day I would see several teachers use the fun conversation heart candies to have students create friendly letters (example below)

Source Link
You can imagine the sadness that fell after Necco announced they would not be manufactured this year.

In an attempt to help teachers go digital, and see the value in Google Drawings, I made a conversation heart friendly letter template. I made a sample letter to test it out, and in theory it should work (see first picture). 




The ideas is that students would write the letter using a combination of text and conversations hearts I have provided (I made the body of the letter default to 3" spacing so the hearts could easily be placed within the context of the letter). Students could change the words around on the hearts if they needed to as well.  Once they were done they could use the clipart around the hearts to decorate their letter (all clipart is from Pixabay so it is labeled for reuse). Once they were done they could drag the parts of a friendly letter labels to their correct area. I gave earlier finishers a chance to explore the links I provided about the lack of conversation hearts this year. 

I made the template white so letters could be printed and put in a display if needed. 

Everything in this template is editable. You will be prompted to make a copy when you open it and then you can change what you need. You might want to make a second copy in your Google Drive. One you will test out yourself as a sample and the other you would modify as you see fit as your template for students. 

I am introducing it to teachers the week before Valentine's Day and hoping to help with a class on the 13th. I would definitely be interested in seeing any finished letters, as this is my first time with this activity. Feel free to comment below or tag me in any pictures on Twitter @atechcoachlife.

Comments

Katie Bun said…
Thanks so much for posting this! Now I am off to figure out how to share it on Google Classroom, I'm so bad at this STUFF!

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Messages - How To (Light and Color)

This was fun activity that I got from Roper Mountain Science Institute. They suggested red theater gel to reveal the message, which can get pricy. Another idea I heard was to ask movie theaters to donate left over 3D glasses, which also have a red filter. A guest speaker we had last year said red jello would work. Tried it this week and it worked like a charm. The students thought it was very cool. I found my "attention challenged" students had trouble focusing on making their own secret messages so I was very glad that I had made extra copies of the sheets from the GEMS Color Analyzer book that they could color and then check under the jello.

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

QR Project - Open House

Twitter Post Link -  https://bit.ly/3Umic7r I saw this adorable QR code project on Twitter and decided to try it out with a couple of third grade classes. We have several schools in our district who are "Leader in Me" schools and I asked a teacher if I could come in and make them for her open house (you don't need to be a "Leader in Me" school but I know they do a lot of goal setting and mission statements). She loved the idea! I decided to use Flip (formally Flipgrid) to do the recording. The web based program is free for educators and automatically generates the needed QR code. We started on a Thursday. I pulled students into the hall to get a picture of them holding a square piece of paper prior to an ELA block. The paper acted as a place holder for the QR code (which is square) and ensured I got the correct hand spacing so the students looked like they were holding the QR code. I found a spot that didn't have anything in the background. The background...